Can Anyone Learn Reiki?
The ability to learn Reiki is not dependent on intellectual capacity, nor does one have to be able to meditate. It does not take years of practice. It is simply passed on from the teacher to the student. As soon as this happens, one has and can do Reiki. Because of this, it is easily learned by anyone.
Reiki is a pure form of healing not dependent on individual talent or acquired ability. Because of this, the personality of the healer is less likely to cloud the significance of the experience. The feeling of being connected directly to God's healing love and protection is clearly apparent.
Reiki is not taught in the way other healing techniques are taught. It is transferred to the student by the Reiki Master during an attunement process. This process opens the crown, heart, and palm chakras and creates a special link between the student and the Reiki source.
The Reiki attunement is a powerful spiritual experience. The attunement energies are channeled into the student through the Reiki Master. The process is guided by the Rei or God-consciousness and makes adjustments in the process depending on the needs of each student. The attunement is also attended by Reiki guides and other spiritual beings who help implement the process. Many report having mystical experiences involving personal messages, healings, visions, and past life experiences.
The attunement can also increase psychic sensitivity. Students often report experiences involving: opening of the third eye, increased intuitive awareness, and other psychic abilities after receiving a Reiki attunement.
Once you have received a Reiki attunement, you will have Reiki for the remainder of your life. It does not wear off and you can never lose it. While one attunement is all you need for each level to be attuned to that level, additional attunements bring benefit. Experimentation has found that additional attunements of the same level add to the value of that level. These benefits include refinement of the Reiki energy one is channeling, increased strength of the energy, healing of personal problems, clarity of mind, increased psychic sensitivity, and a raised level of consciousness. At the Reiki support groups sponsored by the Center, additional attunements are usually given by someone who has taken Third degree Reiki, with no extra fee required.
The Reiki attunement can start a cleansing process that affects the physical body as well as the mind and emotions. Toxins that have been stored in the body may be released along with feelings and thought patterns that are no longer useful. Therefore, a process of purification prior to the attunement is recommended to improve the benefit one receives. See below for specific instructions on preparing for an attunement.
Preparing for an Attunement
In order to improve the results you receive during the attunement, a process of purification is recommended. This will allow the attunement energies to work more efficiently and create greater benefits for you. The following steps are optional. Follow them if you feel guided to do so.
- Refrain from eating meat, fowl or fish for three days prior to the attunement. These foods often contain drugs in the form of penicillin and female hormones and toxins in the form of pesticides and heavy metals that make your system sluggish and throw it out of balance.
- Consider a water or juice fast for one to three days especially if you already are a vegetarian or have experience with fasting.
- Minimize your use of coffee and caffeine drinks or stop completely. They create imbalances in the nervous and endocrine systems. Use no caffeine drinks on the day of the attunement.
- Use no alcohol for at least three days prior to the attunement.
- Minimize or stop using sweets. Eat no chocolate.
- If you smoke, cut back, and smoke as little as possible on the day of the attunement.
- Meditate an hour a day for a least a week using a style you are familiar with or simply spend this time in silence.
- Reduce or eliminate time watching TV, listening to the radio, and reading newspapers.
- Go for quiet walks, spend time with nature, and get moderate exercise.
- Give more attention to the subtle impressions and sensations within and around; contemplate their meaning.
- Release all anger, fear, jealousy, hate, worry, etc. up to the light. Create a sacred space within and around you.
- By receiving an attunement you will become part of a group of people who are using Reiki to heal themselves, and each other, and who are working together to heal the Earth. You will also be receiving help from Reiki guides and other spiritual beings who are also working towards these goals. While Reiki is not a religion, you may prepare your mind with intention work and pray in a religious mode comfortable to you to prepare to open to higher spiritual energies and experiences.
The International Center for Reiki Training Attunement Process
The attunement process used by the Center in all Reiki classes is a combination of the Usui system and a special Tibetan technique. It is thought that Reiki originated in Tibet, therefore, the use of the Tibetan technique and symbols creates a stronger connection with the origins of Reiki. The addition of the Tibetan attunement technique to the Usui system of attunements has greatly improved their quality. This unique attunement process was developed over time to be more powerful and to bring in a wider range of attunement energies than the original Usui system. In Reiki III the Usui/Tibetan method of giving attunements is taught along with the original Usui system of attunements.
Students wishing to practice the original Usui system of Reiki can easily do so as all additions to the Usui system are clearly explained in class.
Additions the Center has made to the original Usui system came from inner guidance and experience in spiritual development. They were added only after they had been thoroughly tested and were proven to enhance the Usui system.
Origin of the $10,000.00 Fee
As time went by, Mrs. Takata contemplated the need to train other Reiki Masters. She realized that the Japanese concept of respect might be difficult to instill in the Western mind. Because Reiki Mastership is so easily learned, being simply passed on during the Reiki Master attunement, she felt that Westerners might not value it. So she devised a plan of charging a large sum of money for those wanting to become Reiki Masters. She felt that money was something that Western people understood and respected and this would help create the appreciation and gratitude for Reiki that was needed. She decided that $10,000 would be a large enough sum to instill the respect needed for the Reiki Master attunement. She also set the fees for Reiki I at $175 and Reiki II at $500. These high fees have continued to be charged by some Reiki Masters, but many are now considering a lower fee structure that makes it possible for anyone who feels guided to do so to become a Reiki Master.
Choosing a Teacher
If a practitioner is not available, you may wish to go ahead and start with a class. If money is a problem, some teachers offer scholarships. If Reiki is right for you, you can find a way.
Once you have found a teacher, the simplest and best advice is to follow your heart. Listen to your inner voice ... Is this connection right for me? If your approach is analytical, see the references at the end of the page. Or start asking questions ...
When you decide that you wish to the study Reiki, we recommend you consider the following questions in choosing a teacher.
Questions to Ask about Reiki Training
- Should I study Reiki at this time?
- Do I feel in my heart that I should study with this person?
- Is this person a good learning partner for me?
- Am I willing to commit to regular practice so that this method (indeed, any method!) may yield results?
For a Reiki teacher:
- What do you cover in your classes? How many hours of class time is there? How much time is instructional and how much is hands-on practice?
- Will this training initiate me into, or progress me within the Usui Reiki lineage? Ask them to explain their lineage.
- What should I expect from an attunement?
- What are your fees and why do some Masters charge large amounts of money?
- How long should I wait between levels of Reiki training?
- What is the availability for support from you or other Masters after I take this training?
- Is there a Reiki support group in my area, or can you help me establish one?
- Does the teacher respond in a loving manner that is supportive and empowering (for you)?
Learning Reiki is a good starting point for experiencing and working with healing energy and a wonderful method for deepening awareness of universal energy. In general, Reiki complements other healing methods and spiritual practices. There are no hard and fast rules about how to approach starting Reiki and starting healing. Again, listen to your heart and you will be guided in choosing the right experiences and teacher(s) for you.
Once you have learned a healing technique, the work begins. To develop your understanding of, and sensitivity in, Reiki it is a good idea to devote time to regular practice, find a supportive teacher and practice group and pursue continuing study. Make sure that you arrange circumstances so that you can be nurtured in your healing and growth.
Keep your eyes on your goals, your mind in your heart and take things one step at a time.
Love and light to you in your journey.